Friday, August 7, 2015

Saving Money on a Disney Vacation

5 Awesome Tips for saving money at Disney!
  1. Pick your trip dates based on a great deal.  Our family's favorite is free dining in the Fall.  Luckily, our Fall Break in September has given our kids a week off of school at a time when we can head down to Disney and get free dining.  The best deal is usually a moderate resort because you can sleep up to 5 in a room and you get the plus dining (1 Quick-service, 1 snack, 1 Table-service per person per night).  I usually make dining reservations 180 days in advance, book my package, and then hope I get free dining.  I never count on it (NO discounts are guaranteed before they are available to be booked), but I'm flexible on which resort or what day I check in to try to maximize my chances to get it!
  1. Get a Target REDcard.
    Did you know that the Target debit card system (REDcard) is not a credit line!  You save 5% off all purchases at Target INCLDUING DISNEY GIFT CARDS!! For example, on a $4,500 trip, that is $225 that never leaves your pocket.

  2. Now take those Disney gift cards from Target and put them in a Disney Vacation Account.  [Don't worry - you can still use one even if you've got a free Disney travel consultant doing your legwork.]

    Using the DVA (Disney Vacation Account) gives you $20 for every $1000 you put into it.  So when you take your $4500 worth of Disney gift cards and put them into this account, you will receive $80 in a Disney gift card for your trip.

  3. Let's say you don't mind opening a new line of credit, so you contact your friend (or travel agent) who has a Disney Visa credit card.  I have referral codes for friends that give them a $200 Disney gift card for opening a Disney credit card and making $500 of purchases in the first two months. I always encourage them to do this, only if they have the money to pay it off.  I feel the interest rate on this particular credit card is high, and my intention is NOT for them to rack up any debt!  I'm all about saving money!

    So, at this point, you've saved $225, you have $80 in Disney gift cards for using the DVA, and maybe even $200 more for snagging that Disney Visa card.  All of that for your trip that (hopefully) has free dining!  That's a great savings start to a fun family vacation, if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment