Thursday, August 29, 2013

When should take my child for the first time?

My 2-year-old watching Disney's Beauty & the Beast @ Hollywood Studios for the first time!

The one question I hear most often is, "What is the best age to take my child to Disney for their first time?"

The truth is, the answer to this question depends more on you than your child.

Just a few things to consider:

  1. Are you a Disney fanatic? I am. It was very important for me to take my kids to Disney as soon as I could convince my husband that we would survive the trip.
  2. Are you stressed with your stroller and diaper bag in your basic travels around your hometown?  If so, waiting until your kids are older may make your trip more fun.
  3. Have you checked out the height restrictions for each park so that you have a realistic idea of what your child can ride on? (If not, check this website:  http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/RidesAttractionHeightChartWaltDisneyWorld_0911.pdf )
  4. Contacting a certified Disney travel professional such as the agency I work for (Wishdrawals) can give you a ton of help planning and arranging the itinerary for your trip that will enable you to make happy memories and avoid meltdowns!

My favorite 3 times:
  1. They get in for free until their 3rd birthday.  I think taking them just before they turn 3 is a great time.  Hopefully they're potty trained, they will not be too upset if their nap schedule fluctuates slightly, and they are old enough to interact with everyone and enjoy the visit.
  2. When they are 44" tall they can ride every ride in the 4 theme parks with the exception of Rock 'n RollerCoaster (48" - Hollywood Studios), Everest( 48" - Animal Kingdom), and Primeval Whirl(48" - Animal Kingdom).  It seems like most kids hit this height around 5-6 and that's just about the age they're ready to ride some of the bigger rides
  3. Child prices until their 10th birthday - this adds up to more than you might think.  They not only get child price tickets, but also eat for less at character meals.  I think taking them before that 10th birthday is a great time because they can do everything and will remember it forever.  
Insider Tip: Disney gives a free badge to anyone on their first visit! It's a great free souvenir and don't worry if you have older kids with you who want one, too.  They also have free "I'm celebrating" badges they'll give everyone in your group who wants one.  Ask any cast member where you can pick yours up.

No comments:

Post a Comment